Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Truly Converted


Man, time flies. I can't believe my time here in the mission field has gone and how fast this transfer has gone. I really am starting to understand what it means when it says in the white handbook that "the period when you are able to serve the Lord with all your time and all your efforts is extremely short". I know, I still have plenty of time left, but with how fast this time is going I really have a renewed sense of urgency--I don't want to waste any second of it. That being said, I am glad that I am learning so much from Elder Fischer on how to use my time most effectively and how to fulfill my purpose as a missionary. I am grateful for the increase in my conversion, the excitement I have for the work, the success I've seen, the joy I feel serving everyday, the tools I've been able to utilize and just the closeness to the Lord that I've felt this transfer. It is such a great experience, and I really feel like I am a completely different missionary than I was even a few months ago. I really feel like I know how to work hard and smart. Obviously I am far from perfect, but I don't feel like I am just spinning my wheels anymore. 



We read in 1 Nephi 3:7 all the time how we can do all that the Lord asks of us. He calls us to do a lot, and I think it is easy to become discouraged and lose faith of what we can accomplish, but the promise that is mentioned in Alma 16:16,  "And there was no inequality among them; the Lord did pour out his Spirit on all the face of the land to prepare the minds of the children of men, or to prepare their hearts to receive the word which should be taught among them at the time of his coming—" and in Deuteronomy 31:6,  "Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee" really helped me see that I can be an amazing missionary if I let myself trust in God's promises. Why should I be discouraged? The Lord wouldn't want that! I have no reason to be. My trust in Him has really grown. I can fulfill that which the Lord has called me to do. There is no talent or trick involved--it's all based on my faith in the Lord. Do I really believe? You bet your boots I do! And when you have that belief, you are motivated to work as hard and as smart as you can to accomplish what He's asked. We really can "do all things through Christ which strengtheneth [us]" if we simply trust and then act. I have seen miracles as I've been working my hardest here with Elder Fischer; miracles that I wouldn't even imagined possible a few months back. But my faith has grown and I have learned so much and want to continue to grow as a missionary and as a disciple of Jesus Christ. I love Him and am grateful that He cares enough for me to help me grow.

We had an amazing multi-zone conference this week and I felt the Spirit so strong. I really learned a lot about extending commitments to investigators, teaching clearly, using the Book of Mormon as an effective tool, and relying on Christ. It was super cool because it was with the Jurupa Zone as well, which is the Stake I spent 6 months in and so I got to see a lot of my old missionary friends there. It was so great to be reunited! I also saw Sister Turner, who was in my MTC District and so that was really cool! 

I am loving life out here. It is so great. That being said, I miss you so so much and love you a huge amount. I am so grateful for wonderful parents like you and Dad and all that you do and have done for me. Have a great week!

Love you!!

Your Elder Jackson

1 comment: