Monday, March 27, 2017

A Different Kind of Investment (From March 13th)

That is so crazy how much water there is in Winnemucca! That is unreal. I agree, I think I've only ever seen the water that high on the bridge one other time. Is Rye Patch finally filling up again? Stay dry!

I am really really really excited to hear about Jose Romero. I just always remember him being the sweetest kid ever. I don't think he ever said or did anything mean. I am so happy for him. I really think he will do amazingly well on his mission! You should give him my email! I would love to get in touch with him.

This week was another great one! The weeks are really flying by! I think the highlight of the week was when Andrew and Madison and Scott M. all met with the bishop in preparation for the next steps they will be taking! Madison got her temple recommend so that she can now go do baptisms for the dead to redeem her dead ancestors; Andrew is getting ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood; and Scott is getting ordained to the Melchizedek Priesthood so that he can help confirm his wife, Danielle, in a few weeks and baptize his kids! It is such a blessing to see all of the good things that are happening in the lives of those with whom we are working. I am so grateful to be able to be a part of it.

I have really come to know the Savior more as I have been studying consecration and the scriptures about Christ topically. I came to really understand that there is a difference between self deprivation on behalf of the Lord and devoting all of us to Him and His causes. When we do the latter, we are able to experience joy and become more like the Savior Himself, who gave up all in order to carry us and pay for those things that we do wrong. He invites us to follow Him, to carry our own crosses and to lose ourselves for His sake. If we do so, we will inherit eternal life and we will be changed into a more Christlike version of ourselves. I really came to see that consecrating ourselves to the Lord is a blessing that will allow us to achieve all that we wish. It is like investing: when we invest our money we are using it to attain something better (investing our money to get a house, car, etc.). When we invest our all to the Lord we are able to receive His all, which He has consecrated to us for our benefit. If we want to be like Him, we must take the steps that He took as well, which is a blessing to be able to do!

I heard a talk this week by Hugh Nibley about the difference between managers and leaders. I found it very interesting. I like the sounds of a leader much more than a manager. I think that President Mullen exemplifies a great leader. I hope that I can incorporate more attributes of a leader, especially a Christlike leader, and be less of a manager. Obviously Christ was the best example of a leader ever and we should try to be more like Him in all that we do. 

I really like your photographs! I think that is awesome that you are taking the time to develop your talents! Keep it up! That is great! 

I love you so so so much! You are definitely one of the blessings I am most grateful for! I appreciate all you do, which is a ton! Love ya! Have a great week!

Your Elder Jackson :)

No comments:

Post a Comment