Wednesday, June 1, 2016

In-and-Out Luau

Hey Mom! Sorry I am writing late. The libraries were closed Monday and we had a busy day and no time to email yesterday so here I am!

First off: We moved! We got the call on Thursday and have spent all weekend packing up all the furniture, supplies and junk that have accumulated in that apartment over the past 4 years! I am a pretty clean and tidy person compared to most missionaries and it was no fun having to clean up all of their messes and stuff! But, our new apartment is very nice and I am happy to be in it! That being said, make sure you don't send any more mail to my old address. Send it all either to the mission office or to the new one.


I have learned this week that I am not a fan of moving. If anyone says missionary work is hard or stressful, they have obviously not had to move. I'm only joking and missionary work is hard and stressful at times, but in a different way. I am grateful to be in a new place. I am also glad to be done moving and able to focus fully on the Lord's work again, and not Uhaul's. 


I'm continuing to learn the importance of diligence. I know it's what the Lord wants me to continue to work on because it's still what seems to be popping up everywhere I go and is always on the back of my mind. I need to continue to improve on my diligence in missionary work (in particular working with members and having them getting involved in finding and teaching) and I know that we will see more baptisms. I am excited to see what this week holds and I am recommitting myself to do all that I can, not only physically, but mentally and spiritually. I often think that I get caught up in thinking that if I simply am out moving from place to place and doing everything I can all day, that I am giving it my all, but we are told in D&C 4 that we need to serve with all of our "heart, might, mind and strength". I often feel like I leave out the "mind" and "heart" aspects of it and need to strive for improvement there. The Lord will provide a way, and I know that. I just need to trust in His promises more. That is my goal for this week.


I have also come to realize the importance of being open with and communicating with your companion. When you do sit down to talk about goals or resolve conflicts, and you do so guided by prayer and the scriptures, so much good can come from it. I am amazed at how inspired it is and really how simple it is as well! It seems complicated, but it isn't! It really changes the whole mood of a companionship and allows the spirit of contention to be dismissed. I really want to try and incorporate that tactic into my marriage down the road. I know that it will help me and my future wife stay unified and be able to overcome those challenges that undoubtedly will come. As we stay anchored in Christ and talk to one another in love, we will make it through whatever the Lord has put in our paths and we can return to live with Him again.

We had some really cool experiences this week that were not quite as spiritual in nature, but still really fun! So first off, a brother in our ward loves to have a good time, so he puts on a Luau every year on the Saturday before Memorial Day and has the In-N-Out truck cater and then brings famous LDS people in as entertainment (in the past he brought Kerby Heybourne, "Elder Calhoun" from the Best Two Years, and is in the R.M.) and also has Polynesian dancers come in. So we got invited to that and we invited a bunch of our investigators. The night before, we had had a really good lesson with one of our
investigators that has heretofore not progressed at all, but after some divine intervention in having the perfect member come out with us to the lesson who was exactly who he needed to meet, he committed to read the Book of Mormon and to come to the party to get to know people in the ward. And he came and loved it! When we got there, there was about 150 people there, I would guess, and it was all you can eat
In-N-Out, which are the best burgers ever! We got to then meet and talk with Matt Meese and Mallory Everton from Studio C on BYUtv, who were there as the night's entertainment. They were super cool and apparently Matt is from Phoenix and served his mission in Illinois! They allowed us to take a picture with them and just about everyone else there too! After that, we went into the backyard for the luau. They were super talented and did different dances from all over the different islands in Polynesia. When it came time for the Hakka, they had all of us missionaries come up and do it with them! IT was so much fun. They then told us we were the "halftime entertainment" between the dancers and Matt and Mallory's performance, so we ran inside and made up our own Hakka (which worked well since Elder Uasike is Tongan). We threw one together and they wanted me to start it out! We performed it and everyone loved it! It's all about battling for God and family. It was so much fun. Then Matt and Mallory started a Q&A and then did a improv skit, which we had to leave before. They are hilarious and talked about how Studio C got started and all of cool things that have happened because of it! It was such a fun night! I think it was one of the most fun experiences of my mission so far!

This upcoming week is going to be great, I can feel it. I am so excited to see what it has in store! 

That is great that you and dad had such a great weekend together! I am glad to hear that. Thank you so much for your advice. I will be less hard on myself. You're right. It's not how the Lord would do it.Thanks. You're the best!

I hope you have a great week! Stay safe and tell all the family I say Hi! I love and miss you so so much! 

Love,

Your Elder Jackson

PS tell Alexis congrats! That's awesome! 

No comments:

Post a Comment